Friday, May 11, 2012

Warriors of Light



One of the advantages of being single, as my brother likes to remind me, is that my money is essentially my own. But so is all of the risk, responsibility, and decision making, as I like to remind him back. The weight of big moments and big chances falls on one person's shouldersmine.

Paul Coelho, author of The Alchemist, has a philosophy about people he calls "warriors of light." These individuals, he says, "when they believe that the moment has arrived, they drop everything and go off on some long-dreamed of adventure." I am happy to say that this week I took a risk with my solely owned pocket book and abandoned the role of miser to become a warrior.

I had been to Europe in college for a brief, but wonderful study abroad experience. Unfortunately, I never made it to Italy where years of art history classes and my own obsessive reading has always made me want to go. I have admired the Italians not only for the art on their walls, but for the art in their daily living. While perusing the internet this week, my new sad heart in tow, I came across a remark from Rick Steves that sometimes the best way to see a country is not to fly to it, but to ride your bike across it. Since most people know that I love my bike more than my car, I felt this statement was for me. But as quickly as I was exalted by the idea of a new adventure, I was splashed in the face with another: I may have to do this alone. From two cute sisters who couldn't sneak away from work to a few close friends who would be back teaching school by the Fall, I realized that the same freedom that enabled me to take this trip was the same freedom that meant I have may to do it without anyone else. And as much as I wanted to sink down in my chair at this thought (which already has a generous imprint of my very round bum), I didn't. Instead, I decided to do something a little bit braver than dreamI decided to do.

In September, I will ride my bike from Florence to Rome. For more than eight days, I will make my way through Passignano sul Trasimeno, Perugia, Assisi, and Spoleto. I will do this without family or friend, not because I have to, but because I chose to.  

And who knowsI may meet a few other warriors of light on the road through Tuscany.


1 comment:

  1. I think you will meet some other warriors of light. I also think you will meet some very beautiful Italian men in fantastic suits! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete