Friday, August 3, 2012

Decisions


A week ago, someone I very much respect was talking to a group of people about what motivates us to make decisions. He asked everyone if we are the kind of person who makes decisions based on consequence or makes decisions based on our identity. At first, my mind glossed over what he said, deciding that I was not ready to look at my "identity" at 2:00 in the afternoon (in the summer, no less). But as I went home and mulled over what he said, it sank in—deeply. Do I make decisions because of what will happen to me if I do or don't? Or do I make decisions because, despite the consequence, it is in line with who I am?

When we were young, I feel like we learned right from wrong through a series of rewards and punishments. If you did something right, you were given praise, a treat, or a privilege. When you did something wrong, you were grounded, put in time out, or you lost something you wanted. As an adult, the rewards and punishments have changed slightly, but we often operate under the same principle. If I do well at work, I will be promoted and will earn more money. If I launder money from my work, I will go to prison (hopefully).

After thinking about this idea throughout the week, I decided to take the time to look at the decisions I make in my own life. Instead of doing a good job at work because I want my boss to notice, I will do well because I am a hard, honest worker, whether someone sees it or not. Instead of making good spiritual decisions because of what will happen to me if I don't, I will make them because I am a person who wants God to know that I honor Him. And instead of loving and serving someone because I hope they will do it back, I will do it because I am a person with an immeasurable capacity to love, despite its returns.

In the words of the Disney creator, "When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier." So here is to clearer values, and the courage to make decisions from my core.

1 comment:

  1. I am pondering this..... Such a good way to reflect! Thanks for your thoughts here, in addition to my own personal reflection...i'm going to discuss this with my kids.

    ReplyDelete