Friday, January 4, 2013

I Hope

As I am sure most of us are, I am still gathering my thoughts for the new year. Most everyone I speak to has this tangible, yet unexplainable feeling that 2013 will bring great things, like we can almost taste it in the air. Some people I know will be having babies; some want their businesses to thrive; some want to make more of a difference where they're serving; some want to finish the year in love, to bring in 2014 by someone's side.  
 
I too feel hopeful for the coming year. Maybe some things will change; maybe nothing will change; maybe some tough times are ahead. But taking the words from my favorite story, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies." So maybe the best thing we can take into the new year, whether the wishes we squeeze tight in our chests come true or not, is sustained hope. Hope for happiness; hope for goodness to come to the people we love; hope that the things we want most in our lives will be closer to our attainment or, in their continued absence, that we will feel peace. And most importantly, hope that we'll take every opportunity, ride every roller coaster twice, so that we can look back 12 months from now and know we did our best. Or, even more, that we lived our best.
 
"I find I am so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain...I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams...

....I hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment