Friday, March 14, 2014

What's Your Average?

I am in an entrepreneurial class this semester (which, by the way, is my excuse for tardy posts). This class is perfect timing as my sister and I are starting a small, all-natural body product company. Sharing ideas, creativity, and a partnership is a very fulfilling experience.

One of the guest lecturers in my class this week spoke about the importance of partnership and that so much of our life success depends on it. Our character, intelligence, and motivation, he said, is largely contingent on the kinds of people we surround ourselves with. In fact, research shows that we are the average of the five people we interact with the most. Like water will do for rock, those in our immediate circle will shape us. They affect our attitude, opinions, and experiences. And they either add or detract from our happiness.

As important as it is to surround ourselves with amazing, elevated people, it is equally as important to be that person for others. Each time we speak to someone, we have the opportunity to leave them more confident, inspired, and joyful than when we found them. Their life can be better simply because we were in it—for five seconds or fifty years.

So here's to increasing the average.


1 comment:

  1. Kells. This post reminds me of how good u were as my roomie. I wanted to be better because I was around you.

    ReplyDelete