Thursday, July 25, 2013

Good Intentions

We are living in a world of rapid-fire communication. I can text from my phone, my home computer, or my work computer (a recent happiness of mine). We email and send FaceBook messages; we can call, FaceTime, or Skype. The possibilities are endless. Still, I can't help but notice that despite all of these avenues, we so often misunderstand the people around us or are left feeling like we're on completely different pages.

I read something recently that resonated with me. Someone said that the source of most misunderstandings is that we judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intentions. How true this is. Knowing my own heart, I know (and assume others know) that I do not say things with the hope of hurting or belittling anyone. To most of us, this would be unthinkable. But when it comes to evaluating what other people say, we often question their motive or meaning, convinced that things aren't plain or in good spirit. Sure there may be those few people who intentionally jab at us, but they are likely far and few between. More often than not, we let ourselves become hurt or irritated simply because we don't assume in others what we automatically assume in ourselves: good intentions.

So maybe it is time to return to an old-fashioned and faith-based principle, one that would save ourselves a bit of grief. To always believe the best in others.


No comments:

Post a Comment