Monday, August 19, 2013

Sky Splitters

I have known for weeks that I am very sadly behind. I have also know what I've wanted to write about. But it wasn't until I was in bed last night, struck with a particular line of a poem, that I knew I needed to put this experience to pen. Almost a month ago, someone anonymously paid my graduate tuition for Fall semester, a sum of which is 20% of my entire program cost. Overwhelmed, I did my best to find out who this individual was. And I did. In reaching out to thank her, I found someone largely uncomfortable with my knowing and who responded, genuinely, that she'd been blessed with a good life and, seeing something special in me, had wanted to help.

Over the last few weeks, I've thought a lot about this moment. As someone whose life is based on a belief in God and that the good I do is a reflection of the good He has done for me, I was in awe knowing that my benefactor, someone who I've had a few spiritual conversations with, does not necessarily share these beliefs. Instead, every good deed she does, every kindness that she anonymously gives, comes from a deep goodness inside of her. Her unfettered desire to give, with no expectation of reward in this life or the next, humbled me.

In the words of Edna St. Vincent Millay, "the soul can split the sky in two and let the face of God shine through." So here's to a woman who split the sky on my behalf.



No comments:

Post a Comment